The location of airport is 7 km east of
Alexandroupolis to NE Greece on main national road E90. The airport is
equipped to international standards of navigational-electronics aids and passenger facilities. The name " Democritus " was given to the airport in
honour of the ancient Atomic Philosopher who was born in Avdera (a village
which located about 100 Km west of Alexandroupolis). The Alexandroupolis
airport originally opened in 1944. Recognized in 1955 as international airport.
The existing facility was opened in 1975.